Sunday, July 12, 2015

Dear Husband


Written for my husband for our 7th anniversary


Dear husband,

I love you.

More than that, I like you.

I forget that sometimes. I focus on the frustrating and miss your myriad wonderful qualities.

You have been there for me, always. Thank you for never giving up on me, for fighting for me. I gave you an out once, early on, when things got hard. You bought me dessert and we sat in your truck in the Applebee’s parking lot and we talked until 3 a.m. That was when I knew you wouldn’t run.

I trash talk that truck, but I have fond memories of sitting next to you on its tailgate, close but not touching, willing you to kiss me but knowing you were too gentlemanly to do so just yet. I didn’t know what to do with that. Sometimes I still don’t know quite what to do with you. You continue to confound me and challenge me, and that’s a good thing. I need that.

When we were first married, I wrote about how God gave me the husband He knew I needed, rather than the one I thought I wanted. I wrote then that you were the best thing for me, and it is still true. You have exceeded every one of my expectations for a husband. After all, as you are so fond of saying, “No one expects a Chris.”

You are generous and loving, hard-working and immeasurably patient.

You’re funny and quirky and encourage me to take things (and myself) less seriously.

You are skilled and smart in ways you don’t see or appreciate.

You are willing to risk and say what needs to be said. You are humble and thoughtful.

You never shy away from the hard and won’t let me either. Even though I get angry and resent that at times (okay, every time), it’s what I need and I am grateful for it.

You have always been honest with me, even when I don’t want to hear it. Especially then.

I can bring anything to you – anything – and though you may not understand or know how to respond, you always listen.

You push me to be a better Christian and remind me that that is what matters above all else.

You patiently encourage me and when I don’t listen to you or believe you (again), you speak the same encouragement to me (again. And again. And again).

As we celebrate seven years of marriage, I do feel an itch. I itch for seven times seven more years with you and then some. I long to be half as good a spouse to you as you are to me. I yearn to grow closer to you as we navigate the hard and celebrate the good together.

May we continue to grow, together. Always, together.

Love,

Lisa

No comments: